Online Niche Dating Market
There are over 3.26 billion single people in the North America, Europe, and Asia Pacific. The Asia Pacific region has the most single residents with 3,114,135,936. The EU easily has over 100,000,000 million single people. North America has almost 46 million single people.
- There are 45,973,453 single people living in NorthAmerica.
- According to the Census, in 2017, there were 110.6 million unmarried people over the age of 18 (45.2%).
- In the US, according to the GSS Data Explorer, 51% of Americans between the ages of 18 and 34 do not have a steady romantic partner. That 2018 figure is up significantly from 33% in 2004 — the lowest figure since the question was first asked in 1986.
- The Pew Research Center found that 42% of American adults did not live with a spouse or partner in 2017, up from 39% in 2007.
- Considering that there are 76.2 million millennials between the ages of 18-34, there are 38.86 million adults between the ages of 18-34 without a steady romantic partner.
- There were 11,569,127 single people living in Canada in 2019. One-third of the country is single.
- There are 2,111,729 15-19 year olds.
- There are 2,376,436 20-24 year olds.
- There are 2,044,721 25-29 year olds.
- There are 1,358,107 30-34 year olds.
- There are 973,739 35-39 year olds.
- There are 710,232 40-44 year olds.
- There are 589,452 45-49 year olds.
- There are 543,473 50-54 year olds.
- 73.3% of men and 61.2% of women aged 15-29 are single.
- 14.3% of men and 15.4% of women aged 30-59 are single.
- 5.2% of men and 9.1% of women aged 60 and older are single.
- 15-24 years: 17.35% (male 11,072,817 /female 10,779,029)
- 25-54 years: 40.91% (male 24,916,204 /female 26,612,272)
- 55-64 years: 7.87% (male 4,538,167 /female 5,375,867)
- 65 years and over: 7.26% (male 4,079,513 /female 5,063,903)
- We can apply the percentages that correlate to the age groups and get the following:
- 8,116,375 males and 6,595,766 females between the ages of 15-24 are single.
- 3,837,095 males and 4,098290 females between the ages of 25-54 are single.
- 235,985 males and 460,815 females between the ages of 55-64 are single. Please note that the percentages for those 60 and over were used for this triangulation, as they will be more representative of this group rather than using the numbers for the 30-59 age group.
- 23,344,326 people are single in Mexico.
There are easily over 100 million people in the EU that are single.
- The EU does not share the number of married people each year, instead they share the crude marriage rate, which is a percentage of the marriages that took place in that year and is not reflective of everyone that is married. When talking about single people, the single household rate is referred to multiple times. As this was the only concrete statistic offered, it has been used as a proxy. Please note that this number will not be reflective of people living with their parents or roommates.
- There are 220 million homes in the EU. 33% are lived in by one person. Therefore, by using this figure as a proxy, there is a minimum of 72.6 million people that are single in the EU.
- There are 36.9 million adults between the age of 18-34 that live with their parents in the EU. Notably, not all are single, but there are no statistics shared on that figure.
- There were no figures available that showed the number of people who shared housing, which would have been another relatively reliable count of single people.
- When the number of people that live with their parents are factored in with the number of single person households, this number easily surpasses 100 million.
Using the most populous and wealthy countries in the Asia-Pacific region, there are a minimum 3,114,135,936 single people. This by far is the largest group.
To pick the countries used, the top 10 countries by population and GDP were selected. GDP was used in this case as it will also be reflective of the ability to purchase apps and have data. Please keep in mind this is a rough estimate, as countries do not use the same reporting formats. Countries with results over 15 years old were not included.
- In China 14.6% of the population is single, making 200,000,000 residents single.
- In Japan, more than 33% of households (49,062,530) are single households, meaning that there is a minimum 16,190,635 single people.
- In Korea, there are 5,060,000 million people living in single person households.
- In India, there are 560,018,000 single people.
- Over 2,000,000 Australians live in single person households.
- In Taiwan, between the ages of 20-40, there are 4,400,000 single people.
- In Hong Kong, there are 2,676,200 single people.
- In Malaysia, there are 2,500,000 single people.
- In Singapore 39.9% of the residents are single. There are 5,849,157 people in Singapore, meaning that 2,333,814 are single.
- In the Philippines, there are 34,800,000 single people.
- In Pakistan, 2,282,531,695 people have never been married.
- In Vietnam, there are 1,625,592 single households.
- The most current figures published by each government were used.
- Many third-world countries do not share these types of demographics, therefore were not included.